Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Hepatitis and Rabies and Tick-borne Encephalitis, Oh My!

I got my first of three series of shots this afternoon. I alternately felt like:
(a) a patient in a psych ward who needed to be sedated
(b) a six year old getting immunised against all the ills of the world (believe me...the world would be a healthier place if we didn't insist on protecting kids against every germ in the universe)

I paid $50 to listen to a travel nurse tell me to not drink the local water, use protection when sleeping with the enemy and to not eat food from a street vendor, as well as read from a report she found online warning me not to trade money on the street. Oh, and to stick three needles in my arm. I had no idea how deep you have to stick those suckers in. It'll be a miracle if I survive the next round. Looking on the bright side, at least I don't have to take the Malaria pills like Kat.

Incidentally, I'm now protected against Hep A, B, Typhoid, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Measles, Polio, Mumps, the three and four year old strains of Influenza and who knows what else.

My arm is killing me now (thanks Mr. Tetanus!).

This better be covered by Blue Cross.

1 Comments:

Blogger Per said...

I get to take weekly Malaria pills as well, but apparently I'm not at risk of suffering from the common side-effects of nightmares and hallucinations.

Just be thankful you didn't have to get Japanese Enciphilitis: 3*$130. While they told me it was optional/recommended, I didn't find out the price until I had taken the first two shots. Ouch.

Scan those pictures!

5:19 p.m., July 16, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home