Monday, May 30, 2005

Back home

It's good to be home.

I've been home for two weeks but it's always nice to see the changes which have taken place while you've been away.

Timisoara is in full bloom now. The flowers are open, the trees green with leaves and my beloved fountain on day and night.

We've got new busses! Funny how such a thing could excite me as I've ridden the bus once in Timisoara and it might have been a trolley bus at that. Timisoara's streets are now full of modern purple and while busses with electronic signs. Yes, modern. You didn't read that wrong. These busses are new and not hand-me-downs from France or Germany.

They're decorated in purple and while, the colours of Poli Timisoara, our local football team. You always know when they're playing a game: the city is covered in purple and white. Fans rush to the stadium wearing purple and white jerseys, carrying purple and white scarves. I have yet to see a Poli Timisoara game but I support them nonetheless (local pride, you know). I've argued with my neighbour's son (in Romanian) over the superiority of Poli Timisoara over Ultras. I don't even know where Ultras is from (Bucharest maybe) but local pride tops all.

Romanian tomatoes are back. Rob in Sofia claims Bulgarian tomatoes are better but nothing can top Romanian tomatoes. It's almost a shame to cook them, they taste so good. I've been living on tomatoes and olive oil for the past week.

And I've discovered Fornetti. I always avoided the Fornetti stands as being a chain store of pre-frozen treats. They're little filled pastries and always fresh out of the oven. You can get them in cascaval, telemea (my personal favourite), branza dulce (sweet cheese), apple, apricot, cherry, poppy seed, pizza... They're so good. They're about $0.10 each (or 10,000 lei for 100 grams).

I'm so glad I've only discovered them now. The day is not complete without my mid-morning snack. The lady at the stand knows what I want: four telemea (or two telemea and two branza dulce, depending on what's available). If I had started eating Fornetti last summer, who knows how much money I would have spent?

And I think I finally got my Dots addiction under control.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my lord. I am drooling. Fornetti are amazing - do they have them at Metro in Timisoara now? When I drove through Timisoara last summer, I spent an hour driving in circles to find the Metro... and they didn't have Fornetti!! Very disappointing at the time.

5:52 p.m., May 30, 2005  
Blogger Karla said...

Hey!

Fornetti are *everywhere* now. It's like Tim Horton's in New Brunswick (Starbucks in BC?). You can't walk down the street without seeing at least three Fornetti stands.

Yes, we have a Metro now *and* a Selgros! I went to the Metro last October. Cost an arm and a leg to get there as I had to take a taxi and there are no busses but it was worth it just to see. The food wasn't any cheaper and they wanted to see my passport (?!?) before they would let me buy anything. I've driven past Selgros coming back from Arad but have never gone inside.

Are you originally from Timisoara?

4:34 a.m., May 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home