Friday, June 24, 2005

Karla's Romanian food obsession #3: Zacusca (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the eggplant)

I love zacusca.

Mushroom zacusca.

Basically a mixture of spiced vegetables, including eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, garlic and oil.

Yes, eggplant.

I won't touch eggplant with a ten foot pole, but I love this stuff.

Luckily, I didn't know what eggplant was when I first tasted it. Then I looked it up in my dictionary. "Eww!"

I found eggplant-less zacusca (like the one pictured) but it's not the same. I'll eat my three bottles but then it's back to the vinete-ciuoerci zacusca from now on!

11 Comments:

Blogger Tücike said...

:D i love zacusca too!! you now, there's a version with less eggplant and more beans. it's smoother.
but what's wrong with eggplants?
you can make yummy salad with it.
(oh yes.. i love cooking)

5:37 a.m., June 24, 2005  
Blogger Karla said...

I need to know how to make zacusca!

I hate beans :( But I love mushrooms!

Zacusca cu ciuperci...

I'm drooling just thinking about it!

6:04 a.m., June 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and u shld taste the home made zacusca
absolutely delicious

2:57 p.m., June 24, 2005  
Blogger Tücike said...

well, i'll ask my mother for the recipe :)

4:45 p.m., June 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You MUST try eggplant salad. You're not going to regret it.

7:57 p.m., June 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beware!!
is lot of calories there? :)

10:46 a.m., June 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/11209.html
don´t worry just very high in sugar

1:25 p.m., June 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it´s calories for eggplants! I ask for zacusca!

2:11 p.m., June 27, 2005  
Blogger Karla said...

I don't think zacusca has many calories. The main ingredients are vegetables and salt.

Here's a recipe.

You can see that there's only 1/2 tsp of sugar for 3 pints.

Granted, there's a lot of sugar in bell peppers and tomatoes, but I don't think this is any more or less healthy than vegetarian tomato sauce!

2:20 p.m., June 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most calories are from the oil. That's sure :)
(9 cal/gram)

5:39 p.m., June 27, 2005  
Blogger (S)wine said...

forget calories...enjoy the zacusca.

6:02 p.m., June 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home