Monday, September 27, 2004

Home

I'm home. I found an Internet cafe on my street (how convenient).

At the Belgrade Internet cafe, I paid and asked how much a taxi should have cost. One of the clerk's friend's spoke perfect English and was outraged at how much I paid. He offered to personally take me to the station. Since I had almost an hour and a half until my train, I offered to go out for coffee instead. He agreed.

We went to this nice little cafe. We have tonnes in common. He's studying Political Science with a concentration in Balkan Sudies at Yale but is taking the year off. He's a Serbian Croat and came to Belgrade during the war. I told him about going to Croatia to visit Porec last year and he told me the only reason he went there was to see the Basilica. Which was the only reason I went there. He's also a medieval affictionado.

He asked when I would be in Serbia next. He gave me a list of places to see, then offered to go with me. Seeing as I still have 2 days left on my FlexiPass, we're going to keep in contact and maybe do a bit of travelling together. We both love stupid teen movies, American Eagle and the Simpsons. This could be the start of a nice friendship.

On the train back, I was harassed by border guards, had my cabin checked for drugs, yelled at for not understanding how to completely fill in my border form and then accused of not filling in my ticket properly. I knew perfectly well what the ticket controller wanted but I was pissed off and tired so I just pretended to not know a thing he was talking about. He laughed, gave up and then left me alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home