Monday, January 10, 2005

Jobs

I've started my job search. Because this is Europe, I'm getting lots of leads to the Council of Europe.

Only problem is that while I qualify for many of them, I need to be a European citizen.

While I almost got married to a European before, I really want European citizenship. I *need* European citizenship.

I remember a Dutch guy auctioning himself on Ebay to the highest bidder, who would get Dutch citizenship out of it (and all the benefits that such a nationality gives).

There are enough people out there who want Canadian citizenship. Any way we could work out a trade? I'm not picky. I'll take a Latvian or a Spaniard or a Luxemburger. I don't care, I just need the EU sign on my passport.

2 Comments:

Blogger bava said...

Hehe, well if you know any Canadian citizens that might marry me when the draft comes, I'll do my best to hook up all my [expansive] European connections for you. Alright, so I only know maybe ... 6 people at all in Europe, all in France. I'm not much help, I'm afraid. Good luck with that, though!

8:51 p.m., January 10, 2005  
Blogger Karla said...

I actually qualify for Lithuanian citizenship but it's going to be too much paperwork. Besides the fact that I don't speak Lithuanian or know a thing about Lithuanian culture, it's probably not worth pursuing.

Although I, like you, enjoy going "native" here in Europe (nothing pleases me more than having a local ask me for directions or something...I seem to blend in with the crowd), travelling as a North American between European cities does have a few bonuses.

Except for having to fill in a landing card when flying from Budapest to London, I got to go into the non-EU lineup where there were three people waiting. The EU lineup had over a hundred people. Same thing when I flew from Romania to Italy. Most of the flight was Italians and I was the first one in the non-EU line. I had my luggage before some of the people were finished being processed.

Coming back from Lisbon, the Europeans were shuffled through while I was in a lineup with the plane from the Gambia. It took forever. I think Canada has an agreement with Britain so that Canadians are pretty much just shuffled through.

I know a lot of British commonwealth countries have deals. Canadians can work in Britain or Australia for two years with a working holiday Visa. Of course, British citizenship doesn't really appeal to me (are they even Europeans?!).

I just need to go the marriage route. I got enough marriage offers from French Mahgreb students while I was living in France. My neighbour even offered to pay me to marry him, but that was only because he desperately wanted to move to Quebec. At that point, I had never even been to Quebec!

4:35 a.m., January 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home