Monday, June 27, 2005

Canada Day

Canada Day is on Friday.

I am thinking about having a Canada Day party.

Actually, I just want an excuse to cook Canadian foods. And my Romanian friends are always bugging me to cook them Canadian things.

Any ideas for a menu? Bearing in mind that:
a) my oven doesn't work
b) I can't get a lot of ingredients here

I'm thinking of:
* shrimp chowder
* nachos (if I can get nachos)
* some salads (with my special dressings)
* no-bake cheesecake
* pancakes (for the Frenchies)

Unfortunately, the blueberries aren't out yet, so I can't make typical NB desserts. And since my oven doesn't work, no apple crisp (the epitome of New Brunswick-ness).

Does anyone else have some ideas?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the maple syrup on those pancakes!

7:02 p.m., June 27, 2005  
Blogger (S)wine said...

what exactly constitutes "Canadian Cuisine?"

8:49 p.m., June 27, 2005  
Blogger Karla said...

I brought 14 bottles of maple syrup with me and it's all gone now :( It makes good gifts.

I'm going to try to find some at Metro or Selgros.

As for Canadian cuisine, I'd rather concentrate on NB cuisine and ideally, I'd make salmon and fiddleheads with apple crumble and blueberry bang belly. However:
a) I have yet to find fresh salmon in Timisoara
b) Everyone outside of NB thinks that fiddleheads are poisonous
c) I don't know if I can get brown sugar or rolled oats in Timisoara
d) My oven doesn't work
e) It's not blueberry season yet

I could make strawberry shortcake but see (d).

6:36 a.m., June 28, 2005  
Blogger Karla said...

They *are*???

Wow...I did not know that.

I remember trying to explain fiddleheads to my classmates in Sweden and everyone gave me the strangest look. "But...they're...poisonous!" "No they're not! They're delicious!"

What kind of food poisoning can you get? Salmonella? E.coli?

Eep! Thanks for the heads up!

5:05 a.m., June 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home