Thursday, October 21, 2004

Mushroomheads

I'm starting to recognise the same people everyday when I walk to work.

I pass through a little residentatial quarter where I often see the women I've called "The Mushroomheads".

They all have these mushroomy haircuts. Short on the bottom and a big glob of hair on top. I'm sure you can picture it.

However, they've all dyed their hair. Box hair dye often says not to use the product if your hair is over 50% grey. Now I see why.

These women could be Romanian ravers, for all I know. I've seen bright purple, blue, orange and fushia hair. Not only is it not natural, but I'm wondering if these women have any other secrets. Piercings, maybe? Or how about some tattoos?

They're always sitting on benches outside their apartment buildings. I can see their hair metres in front of me. They always reminded me of a clump of tropical, albeit poisonous mushrooms.

Which brings me to another point I've been meaning to make. Sometimes I think I'm the only person left in Romania with their real hair colour. Most Romanian women have this odd reddish or plummy coloured hair. It's pretty but defintely not natural. I noticed the same thing in France except French women tend to like the purple spectrum while Romanians favour the reds.

Hair dye is obscenely cheap here and you can get a lot of the same brands as at home. Hair bleach too. Romanians should *not* dye their hair blond. People with olive skin (sorry, I'm generalising here) should not have Pamela Lee hair. That doesn't stop me passing various "Barbie Dolls" on my way to work every day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq said...

Actually it is considered very feminine to take measures to alter your appearance in Romania. If you don't make any effort, you are some sort of deviant.

It's a lot like Latinas in North America. If you don't wear a crust of blue eyeshadow people think you're a lesbian. Really!

Though last year, I demanded that a hairdresser in Sibiu (central Romania, in Transylvania) make me platinum blonde - any blonde - but he refused on the grounds that I have olive skin. I wanted to be just like the prostitutes in my hotel. He made me a redhead again. Maybe that's because he was gay (i.e. has good taste).

1:44 p.m., October 23, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home