Friday, November 26, 2004

Stove

So my stove *isn't* broken. Cristi showed me how to use it properly.

I'll never understand these European gas stoves. North American electric stoves make so much more sense. Turn the knob and presto, heat.

Here, you have to light the gas. I've become adept at lighting the burners without burning myself. However, lighting my stove will continue to pose health hazards.

I looked for one of those stick lighters at the local Billa. I couldn't find anything in the candle/match section, and I dreaded asking the sales associate if they had them.

Try describing a stick lighter in another language. Just try it.

"Unde e un foc [makes hand gesture for lighting a lighter]?" ("Where is a lighter?", in Karla-speak).

Riiiight.

So with this stove, you have to hold the gas in for 15-20 seconds after you light it, and the heat sensor keeps the fire light. I will *not* be missing gas stoves when I return to Canada.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Italian and Romanian are similar. If a Romanian speaker goes to Italy, they should understand at least 85% of what is spoken without even knowing the language.

About the stick lighters, check out your local markets where you can find those really cheap items. I saw a ton of those stick lighters at those markets. The Metro might even sell them?

A lot of the items in those markets reminds me of the "free gifts", that catalogs give americans and canadians when they order.

3:24 a.m., December 01, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home