Friday, March 18, 2005

Thanks

How do you begin to thank everyone who made an impact on you this year? I can't count the people who have helped me, encouraged me, or helped me see Timisoara in a new and exciting light. It's hard for me to be sappy, and I'm sure I'll be adding to this list in a few days, but to everyone who's read and enjoyed this blog, thank you from the bottom of my heart.


The Romanians:


Adriana
: Possibly the coolest Romanian I have ever met. You laughed at my stupid Canadianisms and I laughed at your inability to see how short Romanian skirts really are. Most importantly, you showed me how to see your country in different eyes, and were always there to answer any question I had (and then debate my way of thinking afterwards). Enjoy your time abroad, do lots of stuff I wouldn't do, and I look forward to seeing you replace Kofi Annan someday.

Cristian: One of my best friends in Romania. You listened to me complain when I was upset, let me watch your fish when I was happy and endlessly teased me when I threw temper tantrums over my inability to easily grasp CSS. I adore you!

Ciprian: Proof that friends of friends can make great friends. You are as beautiful inside as they are out. Whether it was my cooking, movies, or laughing about the Moldovan Mafia, I will never forget you, and I wish you great luck when you're a doctor.

Fabi and Dee: I can never forget your kindness in including me in your social circle. I know English isn't as easy for you as for Cristi but I appreciate your efforts to talk to me whenever we were out. And hey, at least now you like soy sauce!

Krisztina: We met by fluke, but it was one of the best flukes of my life. You are such a beautiful person and I know I will be back to see you again.

Cosmin: You were always there when I needed to go out, to dress up or just reminisce about "old times".

Alina: Watch out world, Alina is one of those "up and comers" political magazines like to talk about. Perfectly bilingual, smart as hell and only 18, you'll probably be seeing more of her in the future.

Sandu: With your English skills and my Romanian skills, we were like two blind people trying to find each other in a crowded room. I wish there could be more teachers like you.

Cristana: Another super cool teacher. The more I got to know you, the more I discovered how much we have in common. Hopefully we'll still be able to work together even when I get home.

Horia and Marina: I haven't seen either of you since September, but your watermelons were so much appreciated. Thank you Horia for giving me one of my most precious memories of Romania.

Florian and Maria: I've only seen you once since last September, but I will never forget your kindness to the strange Canadian girl. Also, you taught me so many words that will come in handy should I ever decide to read Danielle Steele novels in Romanian.

The couple who run the grocery store next door: I don't know your names, but I know you secretly smile at my accent, the way I mix up my verbs and how I always buy the exact same thing when I go to your store. I hope you'll miss me like I miss you.

Bogdan at Etti: I haven't seen you in ages, but you will remain my first Romanian crush.

Adrian: You showed me how much fun Romanians can be. I'm just sorry I couldn't get to know you better before you left.

Vlad and Nadia: Sorry we didn't see each other as much as we planned, but you guys were my first friends in Timisoara before I even arrived. Good luck to you both in the future.


Known from home:

Mom: Possibly the best mom in the world. I know you want me home, but can't I just stay a bit longer?

Dario: What can I say about il mio bello italiano? I miss you and you know you will always have a huge place in my heart.

Rob L: I don't think I'll appreciate your friendship to the full extent until after I return to Canada. I can't tell you how much I appreciate having you there to hear my complaints, to empathise, or to just pass along a funny news story. Istanul in 5 days!

Jane: The same goes for you! I was scared of you when I met you in Wolfville but I couldn't have survived this year without your weekly doses of sarcasm.

Marc: I don't think I've ever met someone as open, outgoing and positive as you. I'm sure you'll see Adriana at the Hague someday soon.

Sarah: We've been friends since first year at university and five years later we're still friends. Your emails always made me laugh and I could not do without all your sound advice.

Jana: The only person who can "tell it like it is" and not offend me, I could not have done without your brutal honesty this year, whether it was concerning psycho Romanians, Greeks, fad diets or the subtle techniques of orthodontia.

Mariko: Another friend since first year, you more than anyone else knows what it's like to live in a foreign country. I'm sure I'll be seeing you this summer.

Teri: Your emails always made me smile, as well as the rest of the staff here. Thanks!

Lea: Someone who's already "been there", thanks for all the words of encouragement. I'm just sorry I didn't know you very well at university!

Bill: You were always one of the few who responded after my newsletters. Thanks for all your encouragement.


Travels and conferences

Nuno: Meeting you was one of my best memories of this long strange journey. You are one of the few people I've met who are as beautiful outside as they are in. You have been such an inspiration to me.

Jenny: You remind me so much of myself and sometimes I think we've lived parallel lives. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of each other in the future.

Thanos: Meeting you was one of the highlights of going to Turkey. I am now fully convinced of the superiority of the Greek culture and baklava.

Momir: My Capricorn brother. Your enthusiasm and positivity are contagious! You made me laugh with your paintbrush-plastic bottle identity sculpture, cry with your reflection piece and smile with your emails and SMSes. Thank you.

Cem: Because of you, I can say I truly "hung out" in Turkey. You will find your green nature some day.

Boyka: You are probably the nicest person I have ever met in my life. If I have 1/10th of your patience, I will consider myself lucky.

Sofia: One of the kindest, most generous and multi-talented people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Carina: The same goes for you! Thank you for immediately including me in Portugal. I hope that won't be the last time I will be seeing you.


Known from afar:

Brandon: Your words have moved me to tears, whether bittersweet or laughter. You are a wonderful writer and I look forward to your stories for years to come.

Peter: I don't know how you found my blog, but I've certainly enjoyed reading yours. Thanks for helping me waste my time every morning!

Bava: You were the first person to link me, and I've enjoyed reading your blog ever since.

Eric: I found you on Blogspot through our mutual love of Kent, and we've been corresponding ever since. Not bad, eh?

Rasmus: You've watched me go from Canada to Sweden, back to Canada, to France, back to Canada, and now to Romania. I know I can always count on you to be my conscience, and for that I am grateful.

Roy: I can't begin to thank you for your friendship this past year. You were always there to take my mind off HTML, CSS, psycho Romanian guys and post offices.

Guillaume: You've always helped me see things in a new light. I want to frame your emails.

DCIP: I don't know a thing about you, but thanks for reading and sharing my links with the "young Romanians in Germany".

3 Comments:

Blogger bava said...

Wow. I wasn't expecting to see me up there. Thanks :)

I'm glad you've enjoyed reading my blog. I've loved hearing about your adventures, seeing pictures, and thinking about what your travels must be like. You make the world seem like a smaller, friendlier place. That's a great gift.

I hope you keep the blog rolling, because I'll certainly be here to keep reading. Cheers :)

- Ahniwa

12:57 p.m., March 18, 2005  
Blogger Ciprian said...

wow... cu placere Karla... good luck on your way home and keep blogging.

Cip (DCIP)

3:32 p.m., March 18, 2005  
Blogger p.p. said...

Thank you for the words. The feeling is mutual. Good luck with everything!

10:38 p.m., March 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home