Sunday, June 19, 2005

Rant

I don't do this very often, but here is my latest rant about Romania.

(Maybe this is an isolated incident, but it's still funny).

Things to know before I start my story:
a grilled chicken burger is 40,000 lei
a chicken kebab is 50,000 lei

Only difference is the chicken, one being a breast and the other being chopped up with spices.

I go to my favourite little fast food place in Piata 700 and order a chicken burger. They're 40,000 lei for a bun, sauce, fries and veggies. I don't like cabbage, fries or the bread, so I get them to stick it in a bag, and still charge me 40,000 lei.

So the girl is grilling my chicken and we're chatting away. She has excellent English and she's absolutely adorable. She's also helping another customer, who wants a chicken kebab on a pita.

"Pitas? When did you get pitas?"
"Not long ago"
"How much are they?"
"50,000"
"Oooooh"

"If I give you an extra 10,000 lei, can I have my chicken on the pita instead of the bun?"
"Let me check with my supervisor"

The supervisor on duty was not the owner. The owner has a huge crush on me. He doesn't speak a word of English, but we get by in half Romanian, half Italian. He's always telling me how much I like my eyes, and every conversation results in him asking:
a) how old I am (24)
b) if I'm single (debatable)
c) if I like Romania (yes)
d) how long I plan on staying (August 12)

So the girl comes back and says that if I want my chicken on the pita, I have to pay 50,000. An extra 50,000.

"That makes no sense! Chicken kebab on a bun costs 50,000. Chicken kebab on a pita costs 50,000. Chicken breast on a bun costs 40,000. Technically, it should cost 40,000 on a pita as well. Why can't she charge me 50,000 to have it on a pita?"

*thinking: "I mean, you guys make money off me anyways because I don't take the bun, filling or sauces, so what's the big deal?"*

Is this a Romanian thing ("No changes *at all*) or just a store's policy?

So of course, I spent all day Saturday dreaming about kebab. I got some money Saturday night and I could not wait until Sunday morning.

It wasn't until I got there that I realised that it's closed on Sunday.

1 Comments:

Blogger eduard said...

Those sound good but my favorite in Piata 700 are "langosi", the cheese-filled fried dough things as big as my face. They're about 6000 or 10000 lei each, for a euro I get half a dozen and it's enough to stuff a whole family! :-)

8:46 a.m., June 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home