Monday, October 25, 2004

Weekend

As a testimony to my wonderful stalking abilities, I made a new friend, Cristian.

We went out to Club 30 on Friday night for their "Oldies but Goodies" retro night. I can't believe that my beloved 80s music is now considered "oldies". We danced to Karma Chameleon and we were the only ones on the dance floor! Some girl from the InOut website was there taking pictures.

Basically, they go around to the hot clubs in Romania and take pictures of the patrons having fun. The girl took some pictures of us. They're on the website but I look horrible so I won't link.

Saturday, I finally did some long-overdue shopping. Romania has this chain (originally Czech, I think) called Kenvelo. Decent clothes but everything is acrylic. Oh well. I bought two sweaters.

Cristian and I went to Friends and drank a zillion cups of tea (ok, I drank three cups and he had alternate beverages). I made it my goal to taste every tea on the menu. I've tried about 6 so far...out of about 40.

We went for a walk around the downtown area and were discussing conspiracy theories regarding the 1989 revolution in Timisoara. I heard English being spoken around me and I turned around and saw two American guys walking behind us. I asked if they were indeed Americans and we all started talking. They're working in Serbia for a pharmaceutical company, so we decided to go back to Friends for some more drinks. I got to play tour guide and pointed out some landmarks. Cristian got to tell them about the history of the city.

It was really nice meeting them. Both super nice. They loved the city and said they would be coming back soon. I gave them my contact information so I hope I'll get to see them again. We discussed prostitution in the city and apparently almost every girl we saw in Piata Opera was a prostitute. Who would have known?

On Sunday, Cris and I went out for coffee with some of his friends (who spoke excellent English). It was a beautiful day and we sat outside in the sun. A flock of pigeons must have been startled and easily over 100 birds circled around the terrace about three or four times. Strangely enough, the air was full of spider webs and I watched them lazily float by.

Later that evening, I decided to try my luck again and go out alone. I went to Lemon, a very popular piano bar downtown. Unfortunately, it was crowded so I called Cristian to see if he wanted to come. In the meantime, I wandered around Piata Victoriei. Everyone was dressed up! I saw some American students on some sort of tour. I wanted to follow them but I had to meet Cris.

So we met and ended up going to visit a friend of his. They got a new kitten and it fell asleep on my lap. And I got to taste traditional apple cake from a Romanian grandmother. Mmm...cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home