Tuesday, January 11, 2005

More job worries

This job thing is starting to stress me. I figure I should use this blog, at least occasionally, for what most blogs are meant for: ranting and raving. Sorry that I've been off the "Romania" topic lately but I've got other stuff on my mind.

I have to figure out:
a) what my education will let me do
b) what my experiences will let me do
c) what I'm interested in
d) what I want to do

So let's take this from the top:

a) I have a degree in International Relations from one of the best undergrad universities in Canada. I focused on technology, society and cultural issues and did my "thesis" on the male gendercide in Bosnia and subsequent mis-information/bias in the media. My IR programme was pretty much geared towards diplomacy or human rights work. I also studied International Relations and French for a year at L'Universite Marc Bloch in Strasbourg, France. I have minors in French and Sociology, but who cares about those?

b) I was an exchange student in Sweden when I was 18. I have travelled alone all across Europe, from Scandinavia to the Iberian peninsula to the Balkans. I can take care of myself, I can easily adapt to the local culture and I pick up languages very quickly. I know how to live on my own in a foreign culture, make friends and get along with the locals. I am also a pro at getting the absolute cheapest price for travel tickets.

I have worked:
-as an intern in an architecture firm/graphic designer
-doing retail
-as a secretary
-doing tech support
-doing multimedia support
-as a webpage designer
-as a technical advisor
-as a French lab instructor
-as a media analyst
-project research coordinator
-intern at a human rights organisation

c) Until I came to Romania, I thought I'd go into the Foreign Service or work for a human rights organisation. Now that I see the opportunities available here, I'm not sure if that's what I want. Paperwork bores me to tears. I don't want to be enclosed in a small office. I like to go out, move, travel and interact with people. However, I also need to make money too. Being the child of two accountants, I know the value of a good pension plan.

I did apply to CSIS (Canadian CIA). My friend knows a recruiter and I was able to get an application form for a post which is normally reserved for internal hiring. The background check takes up to eighteen months, so I have another eight to go before I hear about anything.

I never knew about the informal youth work networks that exist in Europe. I'm passionate about intercultural exchanges. I've done three of them. I think understanding other cultures is one of the best ways of peace-making. I'm still shocked at the outdated ideas many Europeans and North Americans have about Romania and the Balkans in general. Ideally, I'd like to combine both my education and my travel experience into the perfect job.

d) I don't know what I want to do. This is the problem. I think one of the best jobs is that lady on TLC who goes around the world and rates all the best spas. I've considered applying to be a tour guide in Europe. I have lots of little skills but have done nothing concrete. I'm fresh out of undergrad university and am working at a job that involves me editing and translating articles and doing HTML. I don't think I want to go to graduate school. I don't have much faith in the education system and I would rather learn on my own through life experience than by reading a book and finding out what "experts" thought about a certain subject. Most of the jobs that I *do* find are for Europeans only. There's a position at the Council of Europe for a youth work coordinator between Canada and Europe, which would be perfect, but I can't find any information on it and the lady who knew the recruiter has lost touch with him.

I'm done my internship in March. I'm going to do some travelling in Turkey and Yugoslavia and hopefully go back to Sweden and Spain. Then what? I can't go back home and work in a call centre. I'm too European to be Canadian and too Canadian to be European. I'm searching for my own place to be.

You guys have any ideas for me? I'd be grateful if you could help me out. Thanks.

1 Comments:

Blogger p.p. said...

Hmm... I think you are in the same boat as I was in 1999. I graduated with a BA in History and International Studies. I too had traveled throughout Europe, and spoke a European language -- albeit not French. Also, I had great internships and experiences.

The problem is that the field that you are hinting at is leaning academic. Sure, you can learn a lot from books on your own, but 10 years down the road, people will want you to write a book; but then you will have no "credible" references (i.e. academics). And, do you want to find yourself later on only learning through the eyes of others, or do you want people to give you the opportunity to learn through your eyes.

So, I suggest two routes; unfortunately, they are both academic: Political Science or Law. I think both will open doors for you that doing something own your own will not. Granted, you will be stuck in classes for a few years, but when completed, you will have something in your hand to show for it. Then, if you are unhappy, you can be that tour guide. Also, you don't have to do all your studies at your home institution. You can study abroad. I studied law in China and Budapest, as did my friend from U. of Toronto. Most institutions have study abroad programs. And, you will be able to get grants and fellowships. Free money to travel is great!

Good luck.

5:35 p.m., January 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home