Friday, September 30, 2005

Humour relief

I feel a million times better (even if there's something wrong with my liver that my doctor is hoping is mono-related) so I had my rainchecque date last night.

Joel drove down from Charlottetown and we went to dinner and for drinks. My insides hurt from laughing so hard, which made him accuse me of blaming everything on my organs ("something's wrong with my spleen" "something's wrong with my liver" "I think my stomach is going to explode" "my intestines hurt from so much jiggling").

After an in-depth discussion on the lousy writing style of the Da Vinci code, I commented on how the characters are so one-dimensional. "You don't even care about them! Someone could die and you wouldn't care!"

"Sophie gets decapitates. Langdon looks up and says 'Hmmm, this reminds me of an ancient archive I once read'," Joel replied.

Then we started joking about Rashi'i subscripts and Aramaic transliterations. "Does it have a Nukkudot?" became our comback of choice.

After leaving the bar, we discovered it was pouring rain, so we decided to wait in my car (which was closer) until the rain stopped.

We were talking and listening to the CD player. We were in sort of a bad neigbourhood, so I locked the car doors from the inside.

The music stopped and wouldn't start again. "Hmm...strange" I thought. "Well, the CD player is crap anyways".

The rain almost stopped (it's about 12:30 am, I'm falling asleep) so I said I would drive him to the car. I turn the key and the car doesn't start. I jiggle the key and suddenly the alarm starts.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I jiggle the key and the beeping softens slightly.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I try to unlock the car using the button, and it's still beeping. Then it stops. I open the door and the beeping starts again. The alarm lights are flashing.

I'm afraid people are going to think we were trying to break into the car.

(This goes on for almost half an hour while I try to figure out how to get the beeping to stop)

I open the door. Still beeping. So I close the door and the beeping stops. I put the key in the ignition and it starts again.

So I get out (pouring rain) and manually lock and unlock the car. The beeping stops.

So it's about 1:00 am and we have no idea what to do. We decide to go downtown, get a cab, drive us to his car, we'll drive back to my car and get the cabbie to jump my car.

I think I leave the light on inside the car. I try to unlock the car. It won't open.

We walk up and down Main Street, me wearing the most uncomfortable shoes in the world, freezing in the rain, still sick (this was the first time I had left the house in a week, except for doctor's appointments) and no cab to be found.

We finally find one at almost 2 am and he said he would jump me himself for $15.00. He drives us like 200 metres to the parking lot when miraculously my car works again. So he's like "give me a bit of money, like $5.00 and that's fine". He didn't even do anything! Easiest money he probably ever made.

So then I drive Joel to his car and we say goodbye (and he had a 2 hour drive home, poor guy!)

I didn't get home till 2:30!

And had about 4 hours of sleep before my job interview.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home