Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I'm a good teacher

I had to teach our software tool to a class of fourteen year olds today.

I went to the junior high and walked around aimlessly until someone asked what I was doing there. Then I was pointed to the teachers' room.

I keep forgetting that teachers are human. One of my closest friends back home is a former teacher of mine. Maybe that just means that I'm getting older.

Anyways, the entire class stood up when I came into the classroom. I was so embarassed. Turns out that it's custom to do that in Romania and it was for the teacher, not for me. Whoops! They were all wearing marroon vests over normal clothes. Kind of like a uniform, but not. I'm just glad we didn't have to wear stuff like that.

The teacher explained the program and then gave me control. I had no idea what to say.

I tripped going up to the desk. That broke the ice. The class started giggling and everything went great. They seem like such a fun group of students. They were bright and asked lots of questions. I asked if they were enthusiastic about using the tool. "Yeah". "Ok, would you rather use use this tool and play on computers, or do math?" "Computers!" "Ok, let me ask you again: Are you excited?" "YEAH!!!"

I told them that they'd be seeing me a lot and that I wanted their input on how the program was working. I wanted to know the good, the bad and the ugly. I said that I'm only twenty three, so I'm young and new at this too.

Getting up to write the website on the board, I tripped.

I'm good with kids.

I tripped again as I was leaving. One of the boys shouted "Come back soon, I love you!"

5 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

God, this brings back memories! I was asked to substitute teach a university class in Sibiu while I lived there. Though my students didn't stand, they were about as polite as any students I've ever encountered. If only that were the case back here in the states...

11:34 a.m., January 18, 2005  
Blogger Karla said...

Yeah, these kids were great! I was pleasantly surprised. I did a guest lecture for the local university on francophone culture in Canada and I just gor stared at by huge eyes. These kids spoke excellent English and even got my jokes.

I was also surprised at how modern the school was. Granted, the school was the size of my university (2500 students) but the classrooms were heated (unlike at the university where I taught), everything was so clean and people couldn't have been friendlier. I'm looking forward to Thursday!

12:06 p.m., January 18, 2005  
Blogger Tücike said...

well, yes, students are very polite here, and know english very well, and love computers. so you're in the right place!
It's a pity, that when we(i mean romanians) finish high school, we get to use our english knowledge rarely, so we tend to forget it. I can see it on me. :(

And by the way, you re-werited the "About the site" section.. LOL .. It's hilarious...
"You will not find information about testicles, deformed testicles, ostrich testicles or pictures of the world's largest human testicles here." :)))

How do you get to find out your search terms?? (i'm new at these things)

6:00 a.m., January 19, 2005  
Blogger Karla said...

Sitemeter (that little rainbow box thingie) is my stats counter. Tells who's on, where they come from, how long they stay on your page, as well as any search terms they used.

The majority of people find this site by looking up www.nike.ro, sex and Romania, variations on the word "testicles" or think this is the official O-Zone fanpage.

Yesterday, I had someone from the US Navy come here looking for pictures of "world's biggest human testicles".

That scares me.

10:14 a.m., January 19, 2005  
Blogger p.p. said...

I remember having to lead a class when I volunteered back in HS and college. I was always scared out of my mind in the beginning, but soon enough things calmed down. It was fun. Thankfully, they were only 3rd and 4th graders.

2:14 p.m., January 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home