Monday, January 23, 2006

Senegal part 3

We woke up the next morning bright and early. I was excited for breakfast, wondering what sort of Africans foods we would be eating. I was disappointed to realise that it would be stale white bread, an empty jam bottle and tea or coffee.

We had a quick meet and greet and then went to a meeting hall where we would meet with the Senegalese minister of education (I think). She was amazingly beautiful. I had a hard time with the African accent and all the fans twirling around. Instead, I was captivated by her brilliant orange turban and dress.

Later on, we hung out on the grass, talking, laughing and eating. I sampled several types of local juices. One was a gritty green, another a super sweet purple. Needless to stay, I stuck with water for the rest of the day.

I made friends with one of the Malian girls. She had long braided hair and reminded me of a cat, she was so feline. Within five minutes of meeting me, she was asking my complete sexual history, including names, times, places, occasions and positions. Within five minutes!

She asked how many girlfriends my boyfriend had.

"Just one," I replied. "Me."
"That can't be true. Seriously...how many girlfriends does he have?"
"Just me. That's the point of a relationship. One person with one person."
"So he doesn't have any other girlfriends?"
"He better not!"
"Oooohhhh....My boyfriend has two other girlfriends."
"He told you?"
"No, he said I was his only girlfriend, but I know he's lying. He tells me he's going to visit his sister and he's really going to his girlfriend. Do Canadian boys do that?"
"Yes they do, but when their girlfriends find out, they usually break up with them."
"I don't want to break up with him."
"That's very sad."
"Wait...I don't understand. You mean to say that your boyfriend only has one girlfriend? He doesn't want more girlfriends?"
"No. Why would he?"
"Well, Muslim men are allowed to have lots of girlfriends."
"I don't like that...if the men are allowed to have more girlfriends, the girls should be allowed more boyfriends!"
"You don't mean that!"
"Of course I do. Equality for the sexes!"
"Wow...I still can't believe that your boyfriend is only with you. Here, men want a different girl for each day of the week. One for Monday, one for Tuesday, one for Wednesday... I hate it, but we can't help it".
"Well, my boyfriend knows that if he ever had another woman on the side, he will never be able to *be* with another woman again!"

I made a snipping motion with my fingers. We both laughed.

Day 1: Total mosquito bites: 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home