Thursday, December 01, 2005

Sorry

I'm sorry for the long long delay. Mono was a killer (ended up being sick in Halifax and not going to the wedding or the training...luckily, my CV is strong enough that I'm still on the list for replacements) and then some hard weeks preparing for Africa (aka sleeping as much as possible to get my strength up).

Africa was certainly an experience. The pictures are all still on my camera but will be up shortly. As a teaser, I'll just announce that it was nothing like I expected and that I almost got killed.

I also do not want to go back to Western Africa. I had such a negative experience that returning there is not something I would like to repeat. At least any time soon.

I have started work at the grey collared factory: the local call centre. Frustrating and boring, but it pays the bills (or in my case, my Visa bill).

It's hard for me to write in the blog now. For one, I don't want to write boring, banal stuff. My life is boring now: work, family, friends. Second, it's incredibly difficult for me to even look at this page anymore. Romania is a chapter of my life I am not prepared to close just yet, but it was such a large part of my life that I don't know if I can face now. I kept a diary when I was in Sweden. I only recorded the positive memories, so I could only look back and smile. Five years later, it's laying in my Swedish memory box, untouched. I can't bear myself to relive those memories again, even though they were good. Same with Romania. I could relive every day if I wanted to. I remember exactly what I did a year ago today. Walking around Piata Unirii, pretending to be Romanian, watching the people with candles, watching the fireworks. Now I'm back in my home city, knowing that celebrations are going on halfway across the world, and I can't be there with the friends I made to celebrate. I'm also afraid I'll lose the friends I made during the time I wrote in this blog. People like Bava and Peter and Brandon and all the Romanians who gave me feedback, held and advice during my year. I don't think I have a choice, I will continue with "The website formerly known as Ro-Mania", but it will be hard...at least to make my life sound as interesting as I want it to be.

3 Comments:

Blogger bava said...

No need to apologize, Karla! I'm glad you're alive, though!

I understand what you're going through with the blog. Here's my suggestion. Feel free to take it or leave it.

Move the Ro-Mania blog to a different url (easily done in the Blogger dashboard), perhaps ro-mania.blogspot.com. That way it's not gone, but like your journal, you can keep it hidden away , rather than have it constantly confront you. Then, create a new blog with the karro.blogspot.com url. Make it look different (I'm slowly becoming a css master, if you need any help), and in this way start a new chapter of blogging.

It renews the experience. Resolves the past a bit. Let's you move on. At least, that's my experience.

As for finding your life boring, I find that very sad. Adventure is always close at hand. ;)

"I have found adventure in flying, in world travel, in business, and even close at hand... Adventure is a state of mind - and spirit."
-Jacqueline Cochran (1910 - 1980)

"There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open."
-Jawaharlal Nehru (1889 - 1964)

"Never forget that life can only be nobly inspired and rightly lived if you take it bravely and gallantly, as a splendid adventure in which you are setting out into an unknown country, to meet many a joy, to find many a comrade, to win and lose many a battle."
-Annie Besant

Enough of that, and you get the idea. I'm glad you're well, and I'm looking forward to hearing of your present adventures. :)

Cheers,

Bava

1:47 a.m., December 05, 2005  
Blogger p.p. said...

You know, I felt the same way after spending 6 months in Hungary and then being back to boring USA. But life goes on. There is always something that happens that may or may not be interesting. Such is life.

12:43 a.m., December 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're alive!
write me a line... maybe "hi" when you have some time ;)
Best Whishes
Alcides

7:56 p.m., December 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home